AAR was founded in 08/02/2014 and is registered under the Rwandan law registration number: 424/RGB/NGO/LP. We are working for the socio-economic development and the empowerment of the agriculture community in Rwanda which is in line with short- and long-term national development policies and plans locally: Rwanda Vision 2020, EDPRS 3 & 4 & Vision 2050 (UN Rwanda, 2017), PSTA 4 , WRMSP etc. and International (Global Program Water, WHO-Drinking Water Quality, etc.).
AAR contributes in addressing the existing Water, Food & Poverty challenges. AAR specializes &focuses on activities and projects that contribute to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with a special focus on Goal 1&2 (End poverty & hunger), Goal 5 (Gender), Goal 6 (WASH), Goal 7 (Clean Energy), Goal 13 (Climate change action).
How we work
With the rehabilitation of water infrastructures, people are able to get clean and safe drinking water grow rice in the wetlands and maize, beans, pineapples, bananas etc. on the surrounding hills which increases their production and income. Using a community led approach, we support the creation of cooperatives and associations through which ownership is created with gender equality promotion. Throughout its strategic plan 2019-2021, AAR is collaborating with Nyagatare, Bugesera and Muhanga Districts for expansion of its projects in above mentioned areas. Programs and projects are increasing, hence AAR is looking on partnerships with various organizations.
Specifically, our activities are focussing and not limited to:
1) Infrastructure development such as marshland Irrigation schemes, feeder road, hillside terraces, WASH, social infrastructures such as: schools, health centers and other rural infrastructures.
2) Empowermrnt of women and Youth,
3) Water management and governance, marshland development and catchment protection , Forest, Animals & Agriculture ;
4) Providing technical and organizational training services to farmers.
5) Developing human resources by establishing Famer Fields Schools (FFS), training of extension agents and promotion of Technical & vocational institutions.
6) To develop a link between Government, donor community and rural population (farmers) through consultative approaches/interventions (promotion of participative planning);
7) Promotion of environment and eco-friendly practices;
8) Ensuring Social Justice and Human rights.
Where do we work?
AAR has already been working in the Eastern and Southern Provinces in five districts of the country namely: Huye, Ruhango, Muhanga, Bugesera and Nyagatare. The organisation in collaboration with local authorities in one hands and based on funds availability and community needs in the other hand, drive flexibility to expand geographical interventions coverage and carry out projects in other provinces and districts of the country as well.
The people we work with
To reach our goal of fighting hunger and poverty, we focus our activities to the most vulnerable people of the community. Our projects put a special emphasize on women and youth empowerment as they are strong pillars in the society. Our activities focuses on the most vulnerable people with poverty ranked I,II and III basing on Community Poverty Ranking Index Rwanda (Ubudehe).
AAR‘s vision and mission to further contribute to the fight against hunger & poverty cannot be realized without strong partnerships with various actors and institutions locally (Local Government Authorities: Rwanda Ministries, Provinces, Districts, Sectors, Cells, Villages, Water Users Associations, Farmers Cooperatives &Associations and other Private companies& Civil Socities. Therefore, we highly value and seek to build strong and long-term partnerships with local and international actors. Our partnership philosophy is about tight and mutually beneficial relationships with actors who share and support the same values and goals.
1) Fighting hunger and poverty
2) Achieving Socio-Economic Development
3) Empowerment of Agriculture farming
4) Develop Water and Sanitation Infrastructures by promoting Hygiene practices for improving Community healthy
5) Support in Human Rights and Social Justice